Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hardcore Brazil

Today me, Gabi (my roommate) and Flavia walked around the city a bit. We went to the Japanese district (there are LOTS of Japanese in Brazil) and walked around a flea market they were having there. I got a new purse and we ran into some other IHPers. We got lunch at a por quilo place which just means its buffet style and they charge by the kilo. It was pretty good Asian stuff-spring rolls, yaki soba, tofu, veggies. Then we headed to the organization Flavia works with for world peace and anti-violence. We met her friend Marco who drove us to a town just outside Sao Paulo for an activist hardcore show that they had been asked to speak at. There were all these kids there that looked just like all the kids I hung out with in high school wearing band t-shirts of bands I listen to, and wearing piercings and tattoos and stuff. Just like Im in high school again! We waited about 3 hours while they were setting up since these kind of shows often take some time. This guy Joel started talking to us (though he didnt speak any english so flavia was doing a lot of translating). Then he went and told everyone we were Americans so everyone wanted to talk to us...and then we went inside and one girl told me her friend wanted to kiss me and Im like...uh...no...i dont speak portugueuse...uh... Then the music started and after a little playing Flavia and Marco got up to speak. Some kids started talking to me about what "rock" I listen to and we talked about Guns N Roses and Nirvana and stuff. Then it turned out my buddy Joel had gotten pretty drunk and was coming on to me pretty hard. and would not take no for an answer! So Marco, who is probably in his 40s was trying to convince him that he was my boyfriend so he would go away and all these kids want to talk to us about Obama and then Flavia is just like, time to go! Oh Brazil, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment