Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hout Bay and Bjork like sounds

Hello all, it's a beautiful Saturday morning here in Cape Town. Yesterday we visited Hout Bay which used to be kind of an artists colony area where a lot of surfers hung out. It has a harbour and generally teh whole area reminded me of the oregon coast. I saw some seals (including a dead, headless one on the beach-sad) . We were all split into groups to visit various thigns and I went with the environmental issues group. It was like a middle school fieldtrip: we tested the Ph and the phosphate levels of the river at 3 locations and learned how polluted it was at various parts. Science is fun! By the way, I don't know why the computer is underlining everything I'm typing...so we looked at the river and then went to have lunch which was hard for thsi vegan to find (dad-imagine that you're on a street and there's nothing but Moes everywhere). I managed to find a place though and surprisingly it was freezing down by the water. Last night a bunch of us went to this music venue called The Assembly which has a lot of cool bands that play there. We picked last night randomly and there was some band playing but when we got there we found out that it was a pretty popular band and the last night they would EVER play so the line to get in was loooonnnnggg. But we got in and watched the first band, which was kind of a pirate band (think Tenacious D meets The Decemberists) and they were alright. But the band that everyone had been waiting for turned out to pretty much be Evanescence and not that good so we went home. Oh yeah, points to Mona for making Falafel AND homemade spring rolls last night. I love that woman.
this is the steet my house is on in the Bo Kaap district
this is me at the top of Table Mountain!
that fat little scurrying creature is called a Dassie. I don't really know what it is...but it lives among the rocks.
View from Table Mountain!
Unfortunately, this is the only picture my friends have put up from Carnaval. This is some of my outfit...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hayden - It's neat to track your CTown happenings. I visited many of the same spots last year including Hout Bay (just your trendy little fishing village on the tip of Africa) and Bo Kaap (we ate a a neat restaurant there, just up from the Muslim museum). I too stayed just off of long street. I envy you...what fun!

    Uncle Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last picture is my desktop

    ReplyDelete