Thursday, March 12, 2009

Woodstock

So I was going to upload pictures but was just informed that USB cables don't work here and the process to get pictures up is too much for me and my 26 minutes left on this computer. SO. Yesterday was neighborhood day and my group went to Woodstock, an allegedly (and turns out truthfully) dangerous neighborhood where people buy Tik (crystal meth, it's big here) and commit a lot of crimes. Lots of assaults and killings basically. So of course IHP sent us there with no super vision. So we took a taxi-van which are these informal (i.e. illegal) taxis that are vans that fit 16 people and charge you about 50 cents a piece. They have certain routes they follow so you walk to the street you want to be on and get one of these to the other end. They honk the whole way as a means of getting people to get on their van and they drive crazy dangerous so they're not recommended but, it seemed fine to me. We got to Woodstock and wandered around a really long time (we were there 6 hours). It was pretty much like being in Queens or deep in Brooklyn: a lot of factories, warehouses, wholesale retailers and crappy stores and restaurants. I ate some yummy curry for lunch and we talked to a police officer for about an hour about the area and all the crime they have-which is a lot. Last night Mouna made our first form of protein, lentils, and it was awesome. It's hard not to eat just carbs here seeing as how Mouna pretty much feeds us rice, bread and pasta for dinner. yikes. Last night we went out to some bars on Long Street (the happenin, hip street). Drank some Savannah Drys which are a local hard cider produced in South Africa. They are good and I will miss them. We came home early so I could wake up and be POD today!!! POD is Person Of the Day which means you are the leader that day and you have to keep track of time, form sign up sheets, clean up, and it's generally assumed you will do a fun activity so I looked up everyone's name on urbandictionary and read it to them. Fun times. We had our neighborhood presentations today, which went long, but it wasn't as hot today so not as bad. For lunch I went to this burger place that has about 20 or 30 types of vegetarian burgers. I got a burger made of falafel that had hummus on it (hold the bun please!) and it was delicious and gave me protein. Tis all for now folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment