Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring Break

So you may have noticed I changed the name of my blog...this seems to be how I am most of the time and this is also what people think I should name my vegan bakery some day so...yeah.

My parents are here! Yay! They got here a few days ago and I showed em around the town. They came out to Langa for this thank you party we did with our Langa homestays and our Bo Kaap homestays. That was chaos.

We left Langa yesterday for the first day of spring break. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but some stuff definitely went down. This kid Frank got jumped by a guy who was trying to steal his money and stuff and the two of them ended up wrestling in the street and almost getting hit by a car and the guy eventually made off with Frank's phone.

Another incident happened as well to my best friend on this trip Joanna. She was walking across the street to school a few days ago when a combi (a van taxi that can hold 16 people) came sailin down the road at a good 40 mi/hr and struck her left side. She broke her femur and her nose and some teeth and bruised her lungs. She's in the hospital now but I went to go visit her and she's in high spirits. Unfortunately there is no way that she will be able to continue this trip with us and now I am sad. )-:

On a happier note, last Sunday I went with 2 other IHPers and this group called Abseil Africa to do some crazy adventures. We drove about an hour away to this national park place and then hiked for an hour and a half to the top of this cliff. At the top of the cliff one of the guys rigged up all these ropes and knots and caribiners for us to go belay down the cliff/waterfall running under it. Oh jeez. The cliff/waterfall was 64 meters (..uh..about 200 feet?) and I was almost in tears at the top looking down at what I was about to abseil/belay down. So the guy rigged me up and then is like, alright, start walking down backwards. WHAT. So I did even though I was pretty srue I was gonna die and I'm holding the control rope with my arm so hard. But I made it and it was fun and I went through the waterfall and it was awesome. After that we hiked a little more to some pools that people cliff jump off of. The cliffs are of various heights, 4 m, 7 m, 12 m, 17 m and 23 m. Jumping off them into the water is called Kloofing and was indeed part of our excursion but the highest I went was 4 m cuz it was scary. the end.

So last night me and my parents went to this awesome pan-asian tapas restaurant, Haiku. We drank wine and made merry and ate tofu. Today we're leaving to start our spring break adventure. We rented a car and are driving to various places around outside cape town which have ostriches, wine country, arts and crafts fairs, babboons, craziness. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment